Skip to main content

CITY TOURS

The port and the sea

MARINA DEI CESARI AND PASSEGGIATA DEL LISIPPO

Marina dei Cesari (‘The Caesars’ Marina’) is a ‘port in the city’. The new docks are located at a short distance away from the city centre of Fano, with all its shops, cultural activities and perfectly preserved historical monuments. The tourist port is located next to the old commercial port, a lively and colourful area, with its quaint fishermen’s houses on the sea, the sandy beach and the shingle beach, restaurants, hotels and other venues which complement the services offered by the tourist port and make your stay on land entertaining and fun.The tourist port of Fano has enough space for 420 boats (from 7 to 40 m in length) and its wharf offers all the facilities necessary to ensure comfort and safety.You can walk to the Marina from the Lungomare Sassonia through the Passeggiata del Lisippo (‘Lysippos Walkway’), a pier protected by the rocks, with a view on the sea.

 

 

The walkway can be accessed by pedestrians, bikers and people with reduced mobility. The walkway is little more than 1 km long and is one of the longest of its kind on the Adriatic coast. At the end of the walkway, with a view the tourist port, you can see a copy of the Victorious Youth, the bronze statue attributed to Lysippos and found by Fanese fishermen in the Adriatic Sea in 1961. The statue, dating from a period between the 4th and the 2nd centuries B.C., and attributed on stylistic grounds to the Greek sculptor Lysippos, or to one of his apprentices, is now housed at the Getty Museum in Malibu, California. The Italian government, the Marche region and the municipality of Fano have all made claims for the return of the sculptures in the past few years, to no avail, because the American museum has rejected the claims as unfounded due to the impossibility of exactly locating the place where the statue was found.

THE TRABUCCHI

The trabucchi are fishing constructions and represent one of the many examples of traditional architecture in the Marche region. They can be found from Gabicce Mare to San Benedetto del Tronto.
Whether they are called bilancion, quadri, lugerne, pesche or trabucchi, depending on dialect variations, these fishing machines, similar to stilt houses, consist of wooden huts on a platform surrounded by rods and bars, with bridges on the water and on the rocks.

They are made of poor materials, of wooden logs and boards, of rusty cables and pipes, and exemplify how necessity is the mother of invention.

Although beaten by the storms and by the cold easterly wind, the bora, in the winter, and exposed to the scorching sun in the summer, they are the perfect place for all those who need, or like, to practise fishing with the typical huge, square nets.

THE WHOLESALE FISH MARKET

Due to its geographical situation, the city of Fano has had a port since Roman times. In the 12th century, Venice already traded with the port of Fano. The port was rebuilt in 1616, under Pope Paul V Borghese (Darsena Borghese, ‘Borghese docks’), and enlarged in the 19th century. Following the enlargement, the port was divided into three areas with different functions: the fishing area, the shipyard and the boating area.

The wholesale fish market was located in 1912 in a warehouse in the Liscia area. Then it was transferred to the Casa del marinaio (‘Fisherman’s house’) in Via Francesco Castracane, near the canal port, and in 1931 it was transferred again to the storehouses of the Borghese docks, near the Albani canal estuary.

This location also proved to be insufficient, and a purpose-built structure, opened in May 1939, had to be erected along Viale Adriatico.

To this day the building is still used as the fish market and fish is auctioned wholesale.

LUNGOMARE SASSONIA AND LIDO

The beaches of Fano stretch across a long coastline from Pesaro to Ponte Sasso. To the north, the beach is protected by the hills covered with the Mediterranean shrubs, which paint the sea below green. In front of the city, there are two beaches separated by the two piers of the port and featuring different characteristics.
The Lido, to the north, is a beach of fine, golden sand.
The Sassonia, to the south, is a shingle beach, with round and smooth cobbles, which also offers spaces with sand and gardens where children can play safely.
Tourists wishing to spend a peaceful and relaxing holiday may choose the seaside resort of Torrette, located directly south of the city of Fano, which offers a beach of fine sand, hotels, camping sites and restaurants with a view onto the sea.

Fano has also been awarded the Blue Flag, the gold standard for beaches, which certifies not only the quality of bathing water, but also environmental management, environmental education and information, safety and services.

In addition to the Blue Flag, Fano has also been awarded the Bandiera Verde (‘Green Flag’) 2016, a commendation given every year by Italian paediatricians to the tourist destinations that best suit the needs of families and children. Fano, the ‘City of Children’ (Città dei Bambini), has become a popular destination for families and over the years has developed services tailored to the needs of families and of their children in particular.

Furthermore, Fano has been positively assessed by the Italian environmentalist association Legambiente and by its famous Goletta Verde, the ship that controls the quality of the Italian sea every year, which proves the good state of preservation of the sea and coastal environment as well as the high quality of its accommodation facilities.

Dog Beach

In the area there are also two beaches equipped for dogs and families with free access to the sea and dogs can stay under the umbrella and relax!

More information on the establishments can be found on the relevant sites: